Tips to keep recycling from blowing away:
- Don't overfill your recycling bin. Use an additional plastic container or bin (on cardboard day, an additional cardboard box can be used) with no lid; and labeled R or Recycling.
- Flatten all items such as milk jugs and boxes.
- Put heavier items on top.
Regarding plastic bags, recyclables in plastic bags will not be collected:
- Plastic bags get wrapped around equipment & machinery, causing breakdowns.
- Recyclables in plastic bags contaminate an entire load of recyclables, preventing them from being recycled.
- When recyclables are hand-sorted, recycling in plastic bags increases cost and processing time.