Solid Waste and Recycling Guidelines
JAMESTOWN IS A MANDATORY RECYCLING COMMUNITY
RECYCLING IS THE LAW!
- Garbage and recyclables must be placed at the curb no earlier than 6 p.m. the evening before your scheduled pick-up.
- All garbage must be contained in lidded garbage cans within the 8 bag limit. Loose garbage will not be collected.
- There is a 40 pound limit per garbage bag and/or recycling container.
- To obtain a $10.50 credit towards your monthly Solid Waste rate, you must recycle, at least once per billing cycle using your orange Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tagged bin.
Your recycling container has been assigned to a specific address. The bin stays with the residence, even if the customer moves.
Remove and throw away lids and caps from any jars or bottles.
Clear and colored GLASS is recyclable by the BPU. Glass Guidelines
Corrugated CARDBOARD (consisting of two pieces of heavy paper with a wavy layer in between) and box cardboard (cereal boxes, food boxes, gift boxes) are both recyclable by the BPU. Cardboard Guidelines
- You may use overflow containers for your recyclables, such as the yellow recycling bin, but the orange bin must be at the curb in order to earn a $10.50 credit.
- Click on the Residential Recycling Program for full details about the program.
Styrofoam (including egg cartons) IS NOT a recyclable item and should be placed in the trash.
Yellow recycling bins can be used for overflow of recycables and may be purchased at BPU Customer Service for $8 each.
- All cardboard should be flattened, folded and placed in the recycling container.
- Pizza boxes (used) are considered dirty and should be placed in regular garbage bags.
- Waxed milk cartons are not recyclable and should be placed in the garbage bags.
Should you need a replacement orange RFID recycling bin, you must contact our Garbage Hotline at 661-1651. A $10.00 processing fee will be charged.
Residents may dispose of four (4) small household items per week, weighing less than 40 pounds, no larger in volume than a single bag of trash and easily carried by one person. Some examples include: dining room chairs, upright vacuum cleaners, fans, lamps, window blinds, brooms, and mops. Only four unbagged items will be collected. Any small excess items will be left behind. Loose pieces of trash that are baggable, such as books, shoes, clothes, and small toys, will not be collected unless bagged. This service DOES NOT include large items such as beds, couches, chairs, refrigerators or electronics.
- If you must use a container such as a cardboard box for your overflow recyclables, be sure to write an “R” or “Recycling” on the container.
Pickup Service for Large Items, Electronics, and Appliances containing Freon
- Before placing items at the curb, call the Garbage Hotline at 661-1651 for an appointment and fee schedule. ($10 minimum and $20 Freon removal)
- Click here for additional information.
- The Chautauqua County Humane Society collects some electronics at no fee. Call 665-2209 for information.
- Syringes may be taken to the Security Officers Desk at the Emergency Entrance of the WCA Hospital.The desk is manned 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Syringes must be in a closed clear plastic container (i.e. sharps, milk, or pop containers).