JAMESTOWN IS A MANDATORY RECYCLING COMMUNITY
RECYCLING IS THE LAW
- Garbage and recyclables must be placed at the curb no earlier than 6 p.m. the evening before your scheduled pick-up.
- All garbage must be contained in lidded garbage cans within the 8 bag limit. Loose garbage will not be collected.
- There is a 40 pound limit per garbage bag and/or recycling container.
- To obtain a $10.50 credit off your monthly $21 Solid Waste rate, you must recycle, at least once per billing cycle, in your orange Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tagged bin.
The orange RFID recycling bins may be thought of as the recycling “meter” for the home. Your recycling container has been assigned to a specific address. The bin stays with the residence, even if the customer moves.
If you must use a container such as a cardboard box for your overflow recyclables, be sure to write an “R” or “Recycling” on the container.
- You may use overflow containers for your recyclables, such as the yellow recycling bin, but the orange bin must be at the curb in order to earn a $10.50 credit off the $21 fee monthly Solid Waste charge.
- In effect, recycling each billing cycle will help to reduce your Solid Waste Rate by half.
Remove and throw away lids and caps from glass jars and plastic bottles/jars.
Residents may dispose of one (1) item per week (weighing less than 40 pounds and easily carried by one person) per week, such as a child’s riding toy, lamp and so forth. This service DOES NOT include large items such as beds, couches, chairs, refrigerators.(See below)
CLEAR AND COLORED GLASS are recycled by the BPU. Glass Guidelines
Corrugated cardboard may be recycled at the curb. Cardboard Guidlines
- Yellow recycling bins may be purchased at BPU Customer Service for $8 each.
- Should you wish to buy an orange RFID recycling bin, you must contact our Garbage Hotline at 661-1651; an $8.50 processing fee is charged for orange RFID replacement.
Box board (examples: cereal boxes, food boxes, gift boxes) is a BPU recyclable item. Box Board Guidlines
Styrofoam (including egg cartons) is not a recyclable item and should be placed in the trash.
- Corrugated cardboard consists of two pieces of heavy paper with a wavy layer in between.
- Cardboard should be flattened, folded and placed in the recycling container.
- Pizza boxes (used) are considered dirty and should be placedin regular garbage bags.
- Waxed milk cartons are not recyclable and should be placed in the garbage.
Special Pick-up Service for Large Items, Electronics, and Appliances containing FREON
- Before placing items at the curb, call the Garbage Hotline at 661-1651 for an appointment and fee schedule. ($10 minimum and $20 Freon removal)
- Click here for additional information.
- The Chautauqua County Humane Society collects some electronics at no fee. Call 665-2209 for information.
- Syringes may be taken to the Security Officers Desk at the Emergency Entrance of the WCA Hospital.The desk is manned 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Syringes must be in a closed clear plastic container (sharps, milk or pop containers).