1. What is the recyclable this week?
- The recyclable for this week is shown on our homepage. You can print or download the recycling calendar below.
2. How can I get a copy of the Recycling Calendar?
- You can download the English version here 2018 English Recycling Calendar.
- Puede descargar la versión en español aquí 2018 Spanish Recycling Calendar.
- Call the Garbage Hotline at 661-1651 or Communications at 661-1680 to request that a calendar be mailed to your home.
- Copies are also available for pick-up at the BPU Customer Service Office located at 92 Steele Street.
3. What are the hours and phone number of the South County Transfer Station?
4. What are corrugated cardboard and box board?
- Corrugated cardboard is defined as “two pieces of heavy paper (usually brown) with a wavy layer in between them.”
- Corrugated cardboard is a mandatory recyclable item and must be placed at the curb.
- Cardboard should be flattened and placed within the recycling container or the flattened pieces may be contained in one larger box.
- USED PIZZA BOXES ARE CONSIDERED DIRTY AND SHOULD BE BROKEN DOWN AND PUT IN REGULAR GARBAGE BAGS.
- Boxboard (such as cereal boxes, soda cartons, food boxes and most shoe boxes) is accepted as a BPU recyclable.
- Cardboard and Box Board Guidelines
5. What can I do with my yard waste?
- Yard Waste should be brought to the Monroe Street Yard Waste Site, located off 8th Street.
- You can find more details on yard waste here.
6. What can I do with paint cans?
- Paint cans may be discarded in the trash if the can is empty or the paint is dried.
- Kitty litter may be placed in liquid paint cans to dry the paint.
- Once dry, the cans may be left at the curb with lids removed, without being placed in garbage bags.
7. What can I do with my magazines and paperback books?
- These items may be recycled with newspapers along with junk mail and office paper.
- Paper Guidelines
8. What can I do with hard cover books?
9. Do newspapers have to be covered?
- Newspapers NO LONGER have to be kept dry when they are placed at the curb, therefore the recycling container is not required to have a lid.
- Paper Guidelines
10. What can I do with colored glass?
11. Can I recycle Styrofoam?
- Currently, the BPU does not recycle Styrofoam and it should be placed in the trash.