Producing electricity for the BPU franchise territory is only half the story. In order for our customers to utilize this resource it must be distributed. To understand the scope of the electric distribution system, consider this:
- The BPU has ten neighborhood substations located strategically throughout its franchise territory.
- There are 19,467 meters to measure the power sold to consumers.
- Power is distributed using 3,470 neighborhood and customer transformers.
- 894 miles of overhead wire and 57 miles of underground cable.
- There are also 19.64 miles of overhead wire and 39.43 miles of underground cable delivering electricity for street lighting.
- The overhead wire is supported by approximately 11,000 poles.