Signing Up For Service?
Application for service should be made IN PERSON at the BPU Business Offices located at 92 Steele St. Click for map.
Office hours are:
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday through Wednesday
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday
- Closed weekends and holidays
- Customer Service personnel are available to assist you with completion of the application.
- Please be prepared to present two forms of identification, one of which should be a photo ID.
- You also will need proof of either ownership or a rental agreement. A deposit may be required.
- You will be billed for your service once a month.
- Payment is due 23 days after your bill is mailed to you.
If you are not satisfied you can write to:
NEW YORK STATE PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION (PSC)
Consumer Services Division
Three Empire Plaza
Albany, NY 12223
Or you can call:
PSC Helpline at: 800-342-3377
Available normal business days, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Emergency PSC Hotline for residential customers, concerning the turn-on or shut-off of electric service.
The number is: 1-800-342-3355
Available normal business days, 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
A recording machine is available at this number after-hours. A representative will call you back the following business day. If your call is answered by a recording, be sure to leave your phone number with area code and your BPU account number.
For additional information, visit:
The BPU cannot turn off your service for your failure to pay the amount in question while your complaint is being considered by the Public Service Commission. All other amounts and bills are payable when rendered.